At the end of last year, Graham Brown got in contact asking if I’d be interested in taking part in an upcycling project. Luckily enough I did have a set of drawers in our bedroom that I’d been meaning to upcycle for a while, so this felt like the perfect blog collaboration.
The team at Graham Brown were kind enough to send me materials of my choosing to help with the project. All of the materials I needed came just under £50 – proving that you don’t need to spend a lot to take something from pre-loved to re-loved. The drawers themselves cost me zilch as they had belonged to my parents, but as they re-decorated their bedroom and got themselves some new bedside tables, they were kind enough to give us their old ones.
Because we live in a two bedroom flat we don’t really have the room to do projects like this, but my parents were lovely enough to let us do this project in their garage as its huge with plenty of floor space for us to get messy.
- Rustoleum paint
- Paint Brush
- Sand Paper
To start with we had to sand the varnish off the drawers – I think with furniture paint you don’t have to do this but I went ahead and sanded them down anyway. I’ve previously painted furniture before and found the paint peeled off quite quickly, so I wanted to make sure the drawers were as prepped as possible.
Once the drawers were sanded down, we wiped them with a cloth to remove any of the dust and started painting! We already have some Ikea drawers in our bedroom, which luckily look quite similar, so we wanted to just paint when white – no fancy shabby chic effects, just a simple re-paint.
We did around 3-4 layers of paint on the drawers to make sure they were as white as possible and finished them off with a coat of matte wood varnish. I opted for matte simply just to seal the paint to make sure its not going to peel off. Plus because the rest of our furniture isn’t varnished I thought a glossy varnish just wouldn’t look right in the room.
Finally, we lined the drawers with this bold yellow geometric wallpaper from Graham and Brown just to add a pop of colour. We don’t actually keep a lot in our bedside drawers so I thought it would be nice to line the drawers with some pretty paper. I do have loads left so I’m thinking to incorporate them in some other D.I.Y homeware projects but I’m not 100% sure yet so watch this space.
The finished result:
This is the finished result! When we got the drawers home it became clear that the white paint I chose wasn’t as white as our other furniture and looks a little cream in comparison but its just something I’m going to have to live with – plus its probably not that noticeable, I’m just being a perfectionist.
A huge thank you to Graham and Brown for being kind enough to send me the materials to do this project, I had lots of fun and it’s nice to finally have our bedroom looking a little more stylish.